David S. Dee
Mr. Dee is a shareholder of the firm and has more than 40 years of experience in the areas of Environmental and Administrative law. Mr. Dee routinely handles cases involving the issuance of environmental permits, the enforcement of environmental regulations, agency rulemaking, and administrative litigation. He has worked extensively with local, regional, state, and federal environmental agencies throughout Florida.
Mr. Dee has successfully obtained the environmental permits for the construction and operation of electrical power plants, cogeneration plants, and other large industrial facilities. Mr. Dee has significant experience with the Florida Electrical Power Plant Siting Act (PPSA) and other environmental regulations applicable to electrical generating facilities. He has handled numerous cases involving the state and federal programs for the prevention of significant deterioration (PSD) of air quality. He has been responsible for obtaining the PPSA and PSD approvals for new facilities at “greenfield” sites, as well as the modification of PPSA and PSD approvals for existing facilities.
Mr. Dee has considerable experience with solid waste management facilities and programs. He has obtained the environmental permits for new landfills, waste-to-energy facilities, and solid waste transfer stations. On behalf of his clients, he worked closely with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) on the development of many FDEP rules, including Chapter 62-701, F.A.C., which governs the construction and operation of landfills and other solid waste management facilities in Florida. Mr. Dee routinely assists local governments with the preparation of requests for proposals (RFPs) for solid waste services, as well as the franchise agreements and other contracts for such services. He also regularly assists with the preparation of solid waste ordinances.
- The Florida State University College of Law, Juris Doctorate (High Honors), 1979
- Emory University, Bachelor of Arts, Humanities, 1974
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- Order of the Coif
- Florida, 1979
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District for the Southern District of Florida
- U. S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- America’s Leading Lawyers for Business since 2004
- Florida Super Lawyers since 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Attorney of the Year for Environmental Law/Litigation in Tallahassee in 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
- AV rating in Martindale-Hubbell legal directory
- Current Member of Board of Directors for Keep Florida Beautiful, Inc.
- Current Member and Past Chair of the Advisory Board for the Hinkley Center for Solid & Hazardous Waste Management at the University of Florida
- Past Chair of the Environmental and Land Use Law Section of the Florida Bar Association
- Graduate of Leadership Tallahassee
- Graduate of Leadership Florida
- Past Member of the Board of Regents for Leadership Florida
- Past Chair of the Board of Directors of Goodwill Industries of the Big Bend, Inc.
- Past Member of the Board of Directors for the Tallahassee Chapter of the American Red Cross
- Former Volunteer in the American Peace Corps in Nepal and Ethiopia
- Member of the Florida Chapter of the Solid Waste Association of North America